So, the somewhat ex-boss (the boyfriend's mom) is completely insane and a compulsive liar. This I've known for a while. It was part of the reason I stopped working there in the first place. There was a Thing That Happened Recently pertaining to the organization the somewhat ex-boss directs and its relationship with the local government. It is public knowledge, and the county government ran a story on it in the local paper. Anyway, Boss had wanted me to come back and help out, because my replacement was a total idiot and essentially did nothing in the entire month she worked there. One of the things the replacement didn't do was update the website. So, I updated it. And I included news of The Thing That Happened Recently. I woke up this morning to discover FIVE text messages about how it had to be taken off the website immediately because it was a secret and no one could know. The boyfriend had received several similar messages telling him to make sure I did it ASAP. A coworker had received a phone call screaming about why had I put that on the website. All of us responded that it was public knowledge and had been in the paper already. This lead to a multi-text message diatribe on how her org is not allowed to ever publish anything without prior approval of both city and county governments and if she violates this she could get shut down (which is not true, because if that were the case, they wouldn't be allowed to have a website/myspace/facebook/etc or to frequently run stories in the local paper!). She also claimed that the person who had the paper run the story did it on his own, without consulting her or the local government, which isn't true, because local government people were interviewed for the story. But I figured, whatever, I'd just take the info off the website. Which I did. And it updated immediately. Told her such. Received four more angry text messages an hour later demanding to know why I had told her that the website was updated, when I hadn't updated it. Told her to refresh her browser. More screamy texts about why haven't I updated it, she's looking at it on 2 cell phones and 3 computers and it is still there, why am I lying to her? I check my computer, then my mom's... nope, definitely been updated. I tell her this, and she insists that I have done something wrong and that "it's just on my wireless network, not the internet." Huh?? Half an hour later, she sends me a text that she finally can see the update. No apology. Probably believes I hadn't done it until after she screamed at me. Supposed to be studying for two major tests coming up, but right now am feeling too stressed and panicky to think straight.
3 comments:
I don't understand why you are still talking to her. Block her phone number and stop doing free work! You're too busy for this and this is insane.
M
She was supposed to be paying me, although she also said it would be off the books, meaning if she decided to not pay me there wouldn't be anything I could do about it. After yesterday, I am not ever going back. She sent me another crazy message last night at like 9:30 when I was studying, which (again) totally threw me off my game. I'm done. Never going back. Would rather starve.
~Anonymity
Obviously the job isn't worth it... but is the boyfriend? Would you really want to join that family?
Post a Comment