Saturday, October 10, 2009

Now this is just getting ridiculous. Can someone please tell me how other people manage to have drama-free lives, and can that someone then help me get one? Seriously.

So apparently the ex-boss and her daughter are now placing something like 95% of the blame for their job losses on me (somehow the ex-boss had finagled her daughter back onto the payroll, and she has since been fired, too). I find this interesting, considering how there were two other former employees who submitted statements, plus numerous complaints from the community, plus, it turns out that she is under investigation by at least two government agencies – and that’s just what I am aware of! But nonetheless, they’ve decided that it is all – or at least mostly all – my fault. The Spy spend several hours on the phone with the daughter trying to convince her that, as a mother of two children it was a really bad idea for her to drive to our town for the purpose of beating the shit out of me… then when she updated her facebook page to say that she was on her way here, he started calling me every half an hour to make sure I was OK. He wouldn’t tell me specifics of what she told him, only that she was being crazy and irrational and he was worried about my personal safety. (Boy wouldn’t she flip if she knew how instrumental the Spy had been in getting her mom ousted!)

On one hand, I’m not too concerned. My house is pretty secure, I have three dogs, two of which are large and one of which will bite. And I explained the situation to my friendly neighborhood dealers next door, and they’ve promised to keep an eye out for me. On the other hand, I’ve never had anyone threaten me with bodily harm before, and I have to admit, it’s a bit preoccupying. I figure if I see any of them, I’ll just dial 911 immediately and hope that there isn’t too great of a response time! (NPH) So there’s that.

Then there’s the fact that the Board doesn’t seem to wholly competent to be running things either. I mean, this is a non-profit organization, which as you might expect, means it works to support a cause – one that I wholeheartedly support – and I am worried that the Board is just going to continue mucking things up.

Plus, get this:

My replacement and I were both asked by the Board if we would come in and help, whereas my friend was not. This seemed odd, since she is currently unemployed and has tons of free time, while my replacement and I both work and study and as such have very little free time. Since the Board knows *nothing* about the day to day operations of the business and my friend knows *everything* about it, it seems that it would make perfect sense for them to ask her to come in and assist, at least until they get things straightened out. I even suggested this several times to several different Board members, and each time, the response was kind of stumbly-mumbly “oh, the Board has to approve all new hires, and we just haven’t made any decisions like that” – um… they decided to ask me and my replacement to come in, didn’t they? And it’s not like any of us want to be re-hired, we just wanted to help out.

Now: my friend’s husband died a few years ago in a car accident. His family had hated my friend from the minute he introduced her to them, and they just treated her abysmally after his death… including spreading the absurd and completely untrue rumor that she had killed him. The Spy just found out that the lawyer representing the Board is part of that family! So, one can only assume that because of my friend’s dead husband’s family’s pettiness, the business is being “managed” by people who have absolutely no clue what they’re doing, when my friend was willing to volunteer a full 40 hour work week to help them whip that place into shape.

So – can someone PLEASE instruct me on how I can acquire a nice, quiet, drama-free life?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a day goes by when I wish I still lived in the South, although a few pass when I'm slightly put-off by crazy rednecks in the North.

I'd seriously consider moving away from all this drama, removing yourself totally from these toxic people and this vindictive environment. No one needs this in their lives.

Anonymous said...

I used to have a lot of drama in my life and then I just quit. I stopped talking to everyone that was toxic in my life - it happened over several years. I'm not sure if that's the healthiest way to go about it and it can be lonely sometimes, but better than the alternative I think. Occasionally, I'm invited back to some drama and I'm pretty good at not getting sucked in, or at least not for long.

Good luck and stay safe.

Anonymous said...

As I have suggested before, getting rid of the Boyfriend is going to be necessary to ending the drama. But you don't seem to be willing to do that.

About your friend- is this the same person against whom the ex-boss filed a (bogus) lawsuit? That could also explain why they don't want to allow her to volunteer. They obviously know she's nuts since they fired her, but if she is going to fight her termination, having your friend on staff may complicate things for them.

Annie Nimity said...

Anonymous 1 - I consider leaving a lot... although I am currently enrolled in some rather expensive courses, and leaving would therefore make little monetary sense. Sigh.

Anonymous 2 - After the period last month where the ex-boss was sending me all those insane text messages, I completely stopped communicating with her... and it was wonderful. Until all the rest of this nonsense happened :-)

Anonymous 3 - to be honest, even if he were completely out of the picture at this point, that wouldn't stop the ex-boss and her daughter from behaving as they are. And right now, he's out of the state, so he isn't actually causing me any drama. The end to that will have to come eventually, but right now, it's the least of my worries.

Anonymous said...

I'm not saying that getting rid of him would end all of the drama at this very moment. With the whole firing thing going on, of course his crazy mom/your ex-boss is going to be rearing her ugly head.

But what about when the firing incident is settled (one way or the other)? I can only imagine how the fact that her son is dating one of the people who contributed to her termination is burning her up!

Right now she is in your sphere because of the work issue. It will take a while, but that will be blow over eventually. Then she'll still be involved in the relationship- you mentioned how she seems to be interfering by spreading lies about your whereabouts and creating suspicion.


I suppose I just have a different temperament when dealing with these things. It's simpler to me to chop the head off (NPH- just an expression!) than phasing out problems incrementally. The longer he's around, the harder it will be to get rid of him. And later when he does something ridiculous, he's going to have the line "Well, I stood by you through the whole mess with my mom!"

Anonymity said...

I have thought of that last point you made, believe me! Although at this point, it's not so much standing by me as not taking sides.

Meanwhile, when he gets back from out of state (because I don't think I should do this over the phone) I am going to bring up the fact that I know he wants to have kids one day... and that there is no way I would EVER let any child of mine near his mom or his sister. EVER. Which is true. And the thing is, if someone told me that about *my* mom, I would tell them to get the hell out of my life. Don't know how he'll react.