Oh. My. Gods. This has been one hell of a couple of days. Wednesday the Board of Directors was scheduled to meet to discuss our statements as well as other issues that had been brought to their attention from other people – and from a couple of government agencies who were investigating the organization! Coincidentally, the ex-boss went into the hospital on Wednesday for something that could easily have been self-induced. See, back in July there had been a large number of complaints against her from the community, and she went into the hospital with chest pains… and the Board backed off. It seems as though she was hoping for the same result this time. Well, we all waited on pins and needles to see what would happen. The meetings usually last an hour to an hour and a half… this one ran four and a half hours (which I know because the Spy is a little insane and kept driving past the meeting site every 15 minutes). Afterwards, the board members were being extremely hush-hush and not saying anything to any of us.
Thursday morning it came out: They had fired her!! They asked the younger (and currently unemployed, although by choice) sister of one of the board members to come in and serve as secretary, while the board as a unit tries to shape the place back together. And they asked me and my replacement to come in and help a little bit in our free time. I’m certainly willing to go down there and help them get the ball rolling, although I’m not sure that I want to continue associating with the place once they do get everything going. I spent four hours down there yesterday trying to sort through the literal mess (as in piles of filth mixed in with paperwork and spoiled food) that is the ex-boss’s desk. There were unpaid bills, unopened bills, bounced checks, overdraft charges, and a letter from the state government threatening criminal charges because state withholding tax wasn’t being paid – and hadn’t been paid for something like 6 months! That was all stuff that I had suspected, but had never had proof of. Totally mind boggling.
Luckily, the Board members seem to be very gung-ho about whipping the place into shape, getting things repaired and taken care of, so on and so forth. On the other hand, this board took over six months ago – why is it that they are just now doing their job? Ugh. Better late than never I suppose.
Meanwhile, the ex-boss is still talking to the Spy, who then tells us everything he knows. He’s probably a double agent, ratting us out to her, but… meh. Anyway, the ex-boss and her daughter both ranted to the Spy about how this is all the fault of me and my friend, and we got her fired because we don’t like her. Well, I don’t like her… but if she’d been doing her job, I wouldn’t have had anything to take to the board, now would I? But she has always had a scapegoat for everything; nothing is ever her fault.
The fury of the ex-boss and her daughter has spread into facebook (where I am still their fb friend; I can’t cyberstalk them if I unfriend them!). They haven’t made any direct comments on *my* fb page, but the comments they’ve made on their pages have clearly been threats directed at me and my animals. (Unfortunately, while *I* understand their comments as clear threats, nothing they typed could be legally construed as a threat.) So, I’ve got all my babies locked inside my house, and I’ve got my neighbors looking out for me, too. (My neighbors are drug dealers and very much not the sort of people to mess with. Luckily, they like me. I think this is mainly because they do their business in plain site of my property at all hours of the day and night and I don’t care. As such, they mow my grass, take in my trash can after the dump truck has been by, keep strung out crack-heads off my front lawn, and in general, make sure nobody messes with me.)
I quoted BSG on facebook after the threats appeared, you know, the part that comes after “nothin’ but the rain” because it was just so fitting. I was at school when I saw the threat, and called my mom, and that’s exactly what she did, gun and all.
Meanwhile, the boyfriend is trying really hard to stay out of it. I try to bring it up as little as possible, although when I do, I’m always honest with him. Meanwhile, I can just imagine the kind of nastiness he’s hearing about me from his mom and sister! I have to admit that I’m very impressed by how mature and calm he is being about the whole thing, although I don’t know how long he’ll be able to keep this up.
2 comments:
Fantastic news!
But please take care. Who knows what she'll do with more time on her hands.
Good luck. I'm glad that she's fired, but I believe that she would certainly harm you based on how crazy she has been in various FB interactions. Take care and don't be alone!
Post a Comment