Thursday, October 15, 2009

Well, my mom and I went to the police station and while it is now on record that we did this, there isn’t much of anything in that record as the cops basically said there was nothing they could do. They said that while they could definitely understand why I was feeling threatened, legally they would need something like one of them either posting a clear and direct threat on my site (i.e. “I am going to kick your ass!”) or posting a clear and direct threat on their site using my name (i.e. “I am going to kick Anon Ymity’s ass!”).

They said that I probably (although not definitely) had enough evidence to get a restraining order against them. They said that if I filed a restraining order and then received the kind of cryptic messages I’d been getting, that would be a violation of the restraining order, and they could be arrested. (Although as I’ve now blocked them on facebook, I’m not sure what other source of threat evidence I would have – or would want to have.)

There are some problems with the whole filing-a-restraining-order thing. For starters, just because I file for one doesn’t mean the judge would grant it. Secondly, I have to have their addresses (so they can be served) in order to file. I have the ex-boss’s address, but not her daughter’s. And I already tried 411 with no results. Without the daughter’s address, I can’t file for a restraining order against her, and I rather suspect that if I got one against the ex-boss but not against the daughter, the daughter would simply drive up here and kick my ass.

Have I mentioned that I am a PACIFIST? I do not believe in violence. This whole situation is somewhat mind-boggling. I haven’t had someone threaten to beat me up since I was in 3rd grade, and I’ve never had anybody try. I suspect being beaten up would be a pretty terrible experience, and I would very much rather not find out just how terrible! NPH!

One of my friends (Jumpers!) whom the ex-boss befriended on facebook in order to do god knows what sent her an absolutely hilarious message that totally put her in her place. I do wish I could quote it here because it was just so amusing. All she had was a really lame reply that she had added him by accident. Apparently that motivated her to come up with a better reason as to why she would add complete strangers who have been warned against her… She has now decided to reply to people who have heard that she got fired and is trying to cause me trouble by telling them that she was just trying to throw me a surprise party, that’s why she was adding them. She also goes on to tell them that she wasn’t fired and that wow, Anonymity must be really paranoid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's too bad your visit to the police didn't come up with anything more concrete, but I'm really glad to hear that you did it. I find it a little odd that you have to have a person's address in order to file a restraining order against them--as if they're not a legitimate threat to you if you don't have their address???? I don't get it. I can't believe the situation you're in but I really admire you for slogging through it like you do; I would have had several nervous breakdowns by this point if I were you. I think of you a lot.

ruv,
ronery

Anonymity said...

I feel like I've been living in the midst of one long nervous breakdown for months now. And I have midterms this week.... Boo!